ABOUT QUEEN OF HEARTS:As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood best friend, the future Knave of Hearts — and the love of her life.
When an enchanting stranger arrives at the Palace, Dinah watches as everything she’s ever wanted threatens to crumble. As her coronation date approaches, a series of suspicious and bloody events suggests that something sinister stirs in the whimsical halls of Wonderland. It’s up to Dinah to unravel the mysteries that lurk both inside and under the Palace before she loses her own head to a clever and faceless foe.
Part epic fantasy, part twisted fairy tale, this dazzling saga will have readers shivering as Dinahs furious nature sweeps Wonderland up in the maelstrom of her wrath.
Familiar characters such as Cheshire, the White Rabbit, and the Mad Hatter make their appearance, enchanting readers with this new, dark take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
1. “Oh my future Queen, you’re late!”
2. Dinah hated this dress. Dinah hated all dresses.
3. Someday this will be my great hall, she told herself. All these Cards will bow before me when I rule beside my Father.
4. “Listen to me Dinah” he hissed. “Things are going to change for you, child, and you had better be made of stronger stuff than the whiny brat you seem to be now. You may be almost of age to be Queen, but you are not ready.”
5. With a smile, Dinah took in the view of the palace one last time. Her castle was a beauty, a fierce and formidable fortress, lovely and dangerous all at once. One day, Dinah thought, this will all be mine.
6. Dinah sniffed the frosty air again as she made her way through the maze of stalls. Men, hay, and horses – her favorite smells, because they reminded her of him.
7. The Hornhooves scared her; they scared everyone.
8. “Snow on the hat, snow on the hat, black like your Cheshire Cat!”
9. “Dinah listen to me. Criminals go to the Black Towers. Criminals and liars and murderers and people that your father needs to disappear. It is not a place for a princess.” He kissed her knuckles chastely. “My dear friend and future queen, please abandon this.”
ABOUT COLLEEN OAKES:Colleen Oakes is the author of books for both teens and adults, including The Elly in Bloom Series, The Queen of Hearts Saga (Harper Collins 2016) and The Wendy Darling Saga. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son and surrounds herself with the most lovely family and friends imaginable. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling and totally immersing herself in nerdy pop culture. She currently at work on another YA fantasy series and a stand-alone YA novel.
You can visit her webpage at: www.colleenoakes.net
Thank you for stopping by and for following the Queen of Hearts Tour! Be sure to check out the other tour stops if you missed 'em!
5/10: Bookish Antics - Review
5/13: Brooke Reports - Top 10